Subject: Re: [Leica] OT:Photo grad school: now DUCK CINDY!
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 11:12:01 -0500

Guy Bennett wrote:

>>Clever,
>>yes. But that's what makes for the art world.
>>B. D.
>>

> That's too simple. The art world (like the photography world, the music
> world, the film world, etc.) is too complex and multifaceted to written off
> with a single, dismissive jibe. Do you honestly believe that all successful
> artists lack talent and are merely "clever"?

Why would you even think, let alone ask that? Of course I am not
suggesting that all successful artists lack talent and are merely
clever. Why would anyone be foolish enough to suggest that.

What I was saying, in an obviously obtuse way, was 'that's what makes
for horse races.' Some successful artists are brilliant, talented, etc.,
and their work stands on its own. Other successful artists are
clever/bright folks who find a gimmick and ride it to success. Hey, what
about that "painter" featured on 60 Minutes this past Sunday who has
sold more "paintings" than virtually all the famous artists you can
mentioned combined. The kindest way to describe his work is 'motel art.'
  Absolutely execrable, saccharine, polychromatic renderings on
cottages, lighthouses, etc. etc., which are mass produced as prints that
then had a little paint applied to them and people then pay up to
$50,000 for these pieces of revolting drech....but it's "art." At least
to some people....