Subject: Re: [Leica] .....R19/2.8......
From: "James Mason, Arctic Sounder" <sounder@otz.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 23:47:50 -0900

In 1982 I shot a photo of the skyline of Portland, Oregon with the
previous 19 2.8. The picture was for a brochure, and the company
doing the scanning had a Heil scanner operator who was famous for
being a fanatic about quality. At 3 in the morning my phone rang.
"Are you James Mason, the photographer?" asked a voice with a heavy
German accent. "Yes, what is it?" "I just scanned a skyline shot
taken at dusk. What lens is that?" I was trying to figure out why he
was calling me at 3 in the morning..."That was shot with a Leica 19
Elmarit on a Leicaflex SL2" I answered. "Unbelievable!" he says, then
hangs up...later I was told that he stood the chromalin made from the
scan on his work table and would stand and stare at it. I shot the
picture wide open on Kodachrome 25. I have other images from this
lens and they jump right up off the light table. I've also had the
Canon FD 20 2.8, and several Nikon 20mm lenses, and the 21 Elmarit
for the M Leica...all are good, but none are close to the 19 Elmarit.
I'd sure like to get the new one, although I have a hard time
believing it is better.

James Mason