Subject: [Leica] Re: loading 120 film
From: Robert Marvin <marvbej@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 13:59:12 -0500

- --
Pete Su wrote:

I've always avoided steel reels because they seem to require and extra bit of
manual dexterity in the dark, which I don't have. But, I wanted to see if
anyone had ever played with this Kindermann device for loading steel reels.
Does it work?

Alternatively, without getting into a steel/plastic religous war, is loading SS
reels with 120 any easier? I'm starting to think it can't be any worse.

I only use SS reels. I've found that I can only reliably load 35 mm
using Kindermann reels with the loader--otherwise I often ruin at
least a few frames by having the film stick together. However, 120 is
MUCH easier to load than 35. I find the Kindermann loader for 120
more trouble than its worth, the film loads so easily without it.
BTW, old Kindermann reels (frequently available on E**y )with a SS
clip are much better than the new ones with a plastic center post and
clip--Hewes 120 reels are also excellent (and I'm sure they're fine
in 35 mm as well, for someone less klutzy than me)

Bob Marvin.