Subject: photographing your own wedding, was Re: [Leica] varia
From: a silly man who needs a shave and wears a fur coat <bwdaly@bigfatpipe.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 00:13:04 -0600

henning:

> Brad, the 12 is one of the great things to come along in a while. Just
> because it's hard to do 'regular' photos with it doesn't mean that it's
> not worth trying.

that's the kind of drive-yourself-into-debt talk i need to hear!

fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on your point of view, our
bogen rep is also a voigtlander rep (thought we don't actually sell any
voigtlander stuff).  i can get a good employee purchase on the 12mm if i
decide to get one.  (FTR, leica's employee purchase program is next-to
nonexistent.  rich pinto was able to give me a much better deal on my
M6, my 50 summicron, and my SF-20 than was our leica rep.)

of course, getting *any* more lenses violates my new principle of zen
photography, keep it simple.  and my my principle of "i must pay off the
visa bill before i get anything else."  so far i'm becoming a much
better photographer while restricted to the 50mm.  the only reason i got
the SF-20 was that i've been talked, against my better judgement, into
doing candids/photojournalism at a friend's daughter's upcoming wedding,
and i thought i might need some light.  at mine yesterday i was
constantly turning the flash on and off, doing combos of flash- and
naturally-lit stuff.  i'm anxious to process it all tomorrow and see how
it turns out.

> If you're doing your own wedding photos, for example, it's nice to have
> the 12 with you to do 'arm's length' photos of yourself and the wedding
> party. Just make sure you don't have the mother-in-law in one of the
> far corners, or the wedding will get off to a bad start.

i tried to lock my mother in law in the sacristy yesterday, but she dug
out under the wall and somehow got back into the church--those cloven
hooves come in handy.  she, who is normally a teetotaling country
methodist, got drunk as a skunk (i'm not kidding) and acted like a moron
at the reception, which i found quite entertaining.

and i did have a hired photographer there.  i think i ended up shooting
more than he did though, mainly because i was nervous, and fondling my
leica made me feel better.

> Also, if you need a shave and wear a fur coat, how do you tell where
> one ends and the other starts, or do you care? Does the mother-in-law
> care?

just FYI, that's from a tex avery cartoon (i think it was tex avery) i
saw last weekend.  there's a bear, you see, who somehow gets mistaken
for a lumber mill employee.  every time he tries to explain that he's a
bear and not a millworker, someone tells him he's just a silly man who
needs a shave and wears a fur coat.  for some reason i found it
riotously funny.

best,
brad

- --
brad daly
bwdaly@bigfatpipe.net
http://www.bigfatpipe.net/~bwdaly

"War, what is it good for?  It's good for business."
	--Billy Bragg

Replies: Reply from Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com> (Re: photographing your own wedding, was Re: [Leica] varia)