Subject: Re: photographing your own wedding, was Re: [Leica] varia
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 22:48:47 -0800

At 12:13 AM -0600 12/3/01, a silly man who needs a shave and wears a
fur coat wrote:
>henning:
>
>>Brad, the 12 is one of the great things to come along in a while.
>>Just because it's hard to do 'regular' photos with it doesn't mean
>>that it's not worth trying.
>
>that's the kind of drive-yourself-into-debt talk i need to hear!
>
>fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on your point of view, our
>bogen rep is also a voigtlander rep (thought we don't actually sell
>any voigtlander stuff).  i can get a good employee purchase on the
>12mm if i decide to get one.  (FTR, leica's employee purchase
>program is next-to nonexistent.  rich pinto was able to give me a
>much better deal on my M6, my 50 summicron, and my SF-20 than was
>our leica rep.)
>
>of course, getting *any* more lenses violates my new principle of
>zen photography, keep it simple.  and my my principle of "i must pay
>off the visa bill before i get anything else."  so far i'm becoming
>a much better photographer while restricted to the 50mm.  the only
>reason i got the SF-20 was that i've been talked, against my better
>judgement, into doing candids/photojournalism at a friend's
>daughter's upcoming wedding, and i thought i might need some light.
>at mine yesterday i was constantly turning the flash on and off,
>doing combos of flash- and naturally-lit stuff.  i'm anxious to
>process it all tomorrow and see how it turns out.

12mm photography is the ultimate Zen. All encompassing
(rectilinearly), with nothing excluded or held to blame or account.
Crop at your peril. 2 weeks with a 12mm will change your definition
of telephoto.

>>If you're doing your own wedding photos, for example, it's nice to
>>have the 12 with you to do 'arm's length' photos of yourself and
>>the wedding party. Just make sure you don't have the mother-in-law
>>in one of the far corners, or the wedding will get off to a bad
>>start.
>
>i tried to lock my mother in law in the sacristy yesterday, but she
>dug out under the wall and somehow got back into the church--those
>cloven hooves come in handy.  she, who is normally a teetotaling
>country methodist, got drunk as a skunk (i'm not kidding) and acted
>like a moron at the reception, which i found quite entertaining.

You're treading on dangerous emotional ground here.

>and i did have a hired photographer there.  i think i ended up
>shooting more than he did though, mainly because i was nervous, and
>fondling my leica made me feel better.

I wish the best for your honeymoon.      ...maybe leave your Leica at home.

>>Also, if you need a shave and wear a fur coat, how do you tell
>>where one ends and the other starts, or do you care? Does the
>>mother-in-law care?
>
>just FYI, that's from a tex avery cartoon (i think it was tex avery)
>i saw last weekend.  there's a bear, you see, who somehow gets
>mistaken for a lumber mill employee.  every time he tries to explain
>that he's a bear and not a millworker, someone tells him he's just a
>silly man who needs a shave and wears a fur coat.  for some reason i
>found it riotously funny.
>
>best,
>brad

See?????

This is way better than politics, and also exposes ones feelings
about family members one is otherwise told to shut up about.

You'll be alright, as long as you remember who/what to fondle and
who/what to shoot a lot with.

All the best.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff