Subject: Re: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 48 - what a real bookshop looks like
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 07:08:58 +0100

Sonny,

You captured my intent exactly--I wanted to convey the feeling of the
place, and in your case at least apparently I have succeeded.

I have a story about bookshops. When I lived in Lawrenceville, NJ from 1990
to 95, there was a wonderful bookshop in our local small shopping center,
literally a few hundred yards from our house. I became a frequent visitor
to the bookshop, often just browsing while waiting for food from the
Chinese takeout next door. The owner loved to talk about books and
everything else, he organized book signings in the shop, in short, it was a
great place. Then, in the fall of 1994 a large mega bookshop opened in a
strip shopping mall a few miles from our place, and business slowly
declined at our local shop. I am guilty myself; on a few occasions when I
wanted (not needed) a book, I went to the big shop with its greater
selection (and lower prices) instead of letting my local shop order it for
me, which meant waiting a week or two. The rest of the story is
predictable; in the spring of 1995, just before we left Lawrenceville for
Belgium, our bookshop closed. Everyone complained about it, including the
people who had moved their own purchases to the mega store...

Nathan