Subject: Re: Summicron with eyes was Re: [Leica] 35mm for my LEICA M6
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 14:56:21 EST

In a message dated 12/7/01 2:27:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
walt@jove.acs.unt.edu writes:

> This is the EARLY 8-element, probably under 200,000 serial number?.

..........Rogliatti says production of the M3 35/2 Summicron ended in 1968
which means that the number could be higher than 2254401 (that was the serial
number at start of 1968).

>...it is superb, lower in contrast than the later lenses but very sharp....
>  Mine is without eyes, but the same design.  (2222XX)....
>  Supposedly sharper than its successor, tho with less contrast and lower
>  color saturation.  CAUTION:...IT WILL NOT focus on Ms without the eyes,
>  and replacing the mount is impossible/impossibly expensive.  It will work
>  on any M body, but the "eyes" make it impossibly annoying to me.

........It will, of course, function correctly on an M3 (only). It will not
function correctly on any other M body - as John Van Stelten informed me
within the last week in answer to  that very question. The focussing cam is
mated to the M3 RF roller arm that is different from the RF arm on M2, M4, M5
and M6 cameras.

I couldn't agree more with Walter; the "eyes" make this lens unwieldy and
much too bulky for use with Leica RFs one of whose attributes is compactness.
Unless you are dedicated to using only an M3, pass. I would pass on this lens
in any event. A defective diaphragm suggest to me that the lens may have been
mistreated and that more will turn out to wrong with it. You may be buying a
problem lens.

Seth       LaK 9