Subject: Summicron with eyes was Re: [Leica] 35mm for my LEICA M6
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 13:22:32 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

On Fri, 07 Dec 2001 13:33:54 -0500 "C.L.Zeni" <clzeni@mindspring.com>
wrote:
> Any comments on the 35/2 Summicron with eyes?  Local store just took one
> in...the aperture won't open to f2 (hits something solid at 2.8) so maybe
> there's a deal to be had.  No cleaning marks, little bit of dust inside.

This is the EARLY 8-element, probably under 200,000 serial number?....it
is superb, lower in contrast than the later lenses but very sharp....it was
"redesigned" in the mid 60s I understand, with better coatings..which is
the one I have.  Mine is without eyes, but the same design.  (2222XX)....
Supposedly sharper than its successor, tho with less contrast and lower
color saturation.  CAUTION:...IT WILL NOT focus on Ms without the eyes,
and replacing the mount is impossible/impossibly expensive.  It will work
on any M body, but the "eyes" make it impossibly annoying to me, at least...

I had one when I had my M3s, and as soon as I could afford it I rid myself of
the M3s AND the lens, but my "other" 35 'cron is the same (formula)...

About 80% of the photos I've taken in my life were shot with exactly this
lens.  I am only going to replace it if I get a new asph, but I doubt it'll be
worth the difference!...

The diaphragm should be repairable, IF all the blades are there and not bent.
You might get it, have it repaired, then later trade it to an M3 user or sell
it at a profit, if it's nice.

Walt