Subject: [Leica] Re: Vignetting with 19/2.8R?
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2001 09:22:51 -0800

It's actually not vignetting. It's light falloff which is a natural (and
calculable) phenomena. For large format wide angle lenses, they make
"center filters" which even out the image density. Unfortunately, your
19/2.8 does not have filter threads.

For a symmetrical design wide angle, light falloff is inevitable due to the
inverse square law. The relative distance light has to travel to reach the
corner of the negative is much greater than it is to the negative's center.
Every time you increase distance to film plane by 50%, you loose a stop.
The 19/2.8 is not a symmetrical lens therefore calculations will be a
little different. But the theory applies. 3-D subjects (people, places, &
things) don't show this phenomenon. Landscapes can be enhanced by this. But
when photographing uniform subjects (plain wall, etc.) this phenomenon can
be ugly.

Jim