Subject: Re: [Leica] More Natchitoches Shots
From: "Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 09:33:54 -0600

From: "Nathan Wajsman" <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>

> Hi Sonny,

> The flag shot is truly wonderful. http://www.sonc.com/flag_dux.htm  I just wish
that the second bird (the one > on the right that is moving) were not there--for me
it detracts from the  image, partly because of compositional considerations and
partly because it  is not sharp.

> Nathan
http://www.wajsman.com/index.htm

Nathan:

I agree about the sharpness.  I have several frames of this, including one without
the ducks at all, and one with a single duck swimming through the flag.  Hard to
control those dang ducks, I liked this one best, because in some of the others, the
duck's wakes were causing worse composition problems.

A problem I faced was that I was shooting  relatively slow film (for me) and  had to
choose my focus in between.  The flag that is being reflected is about 150 feet wide.
It's hanging between two crane trucks on the opposite bank, maybe  500 feet away.
That, of course, puts the reflection  480 feet from the ducks actual image.  Good
thing it was a sunny day, or  it just would not have happened.

I really MUST get those Neutral Density filters, so I can standardize my film.   I
hate being out all day with a full kit of cameras, so I go to this festival with only
one body and two lenses.

Thanks for your comments.  They always make me think about how I could have done a
shot better.

Regards,
Sonny
http://www.sonc.com