Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: HCB and "Faceless"
From: "John R. Fulton Jr." <JRFjr@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 11:54:32 -0600

Hi BD--
I must agree with you.
I just pulled Self-Portrait USA by DDD off my shelf. If you haven't
looked at it recently it is worth a look-see.
It is his coverage of the 1968 political conventions and it is GREAT.
If you want to see how to cover conventiions this is it. This book is
great reportage.
While the Democratic convention was going on, DDD took a side-trip
to the Great Lakes Naval hospital to photograph the injured Marines
watching the convention (with their Alfred E. Newman for President
poster). He was on the streets of Chicago during the riots.
He got wonderful closeups of Nixon in Miami. Plus alot of behind the
scenes stuff you just don't see today.
He was shooting with a pre-production 400 6.8 Telyt borrowed from
Leica for an SL. He also used two "ancient" (his words) M3Ds with 21
and 50. In addition he used Nikon Photomics.
Anyway, beg, borrow or buy this book. Anybody who doesn't think DDD
was a shooter will want to re-think it after Self-Portrait USA.
John Fulton
Fort Worth

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: HCB and "Faceless")
Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Re: HCB and "Faceless")