Subject: Re: [Leica] New M6 owner, what first Lens??
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 11:36:46 -0500

I have to disagree, Jeff - I'd be much more inclined to say don't buy a
used body than I would to say don't used glass. In fact, when it comes
to Leica lenses, I always buy used when I can: the build on the Leica
lenses is such that they will probably be functioning into the next
century; lens cosmetics are utterly irrelevant; and you can instantly
see if the glass is in good shape. Any seller worth dealing with -
particularly dealers worth dealing with - will provide a money back
guarantee. So while I am a real fan of the Cosina lenses - and swear by
the 50 Nokton and also have a 75 Heliar - I would definitely recommend
going for a 35 pre-asph Summicron over a 35 Cosina if the cost
difference is not a problem.

All of that said, however, I would agree with you that the Cosina lenses
are very good, and may, in fact, be as good as the pre-asph Leica lenses
in image quality - but not in build.

B. D.