Subject: Re: [Leica] NOCTILUX-M f/1/50 mm
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 16:32:18 EST

Friends:

IMO B.D. has it exactly right. The Noctilux lens is designed, aberrations are
corrected and it is built for its performance at f/1.0. At full aperture it
is nonpareil, no other ultra-speed lens comes close.

That given, to say that it compares optically with a 50mm Summicron at any
comparable stop flies in the face of reality and of optical design standards.
Such a claim also imposes an very unfair burden on the Noctilux, that it can
possibly be the one all-around normal (meaning 50mm) lens that can be all
things to all photographers. There simply isn't such a magic wand.

I may be treading on toes here, but I cannot imagine a knowledgable and
serious photographer owning the Noctilux and no other 50mm lens. To do so
would mean that when the 50mm focal length is needed, the only lens available
would be the Noctilux, as wonderful as it is. Not.

In a message dated 12/13/01 4:09:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bdcolen@earthlink.net writes:

> Okay guys...;-)...I have a feeling people missing my Noctipoints. First,
>  I think it's a very useful lens, the best available - for a certain
>  purpose. (And, yes, one of these days, if I can ever afford it, I will
>  probably get one.) That said, I think that many on the LUG overrate it's
>  utility to a really ridiculous degree. I don't believe for a second that
>  members of this list would even consider as an all purpose 50 mm lens a
>  lens that causes quite visible vingeting, has really weird bokeh - go
>  back and look at those color shots of Rei's - marginal depth of field,
>  is COMPARATIVELY to other Leica lenses, heavy as a truck and just as
>  wide as a truck, and intrudes so into the viewfinder. No way. And if
>  Nikon made an all purpose 50 that did any of those things you guys would
>  be laughing your rears off making fun of it.
>
>  So...Praise the Noctilux for what it is - the finest available darkness
>  lens available. Period. It doesn't need to be more than that. And it
>  isn't more than that.

Seth  -  about to duck -     LaK 9

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com> (Re: [Leica] NOCTILUX-M f/1/50 mm)