Subject: Re: [Leica] NOCTILUX-M f/1/50 mm
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 16:11:36 -0800

><Snip>
> >  back and look at those color shots of Rei's - marginal depth of field,
> >  is COMPARATIVELY to other Leica lenses, heavy as a truck and just as
> >  wide as a truck, and intrudes so into the viewfinder. No way. And if
> >  Nikon made an all purpose 50 that did any of those things you guys would
> >  be laughing your rears off making fun of it.
> >
> >  So...Praise the Noctilux for what it is - the finest available darkness
> >  lens available. Period. It doesn't need to be more than that. And it
> >  isn't more than that.
>
> Seth  -  about to duck -     LaK 9
> --

Thing is Seth so many photo entuseastes have a dismal view of the focal length.
It's like their thinking:
"Oh do i really have to have a 50? It's so boring! Can't i just have a
35 and 90? or 75.."
For some crazy reason the number "50" puts people off, they think its
somehow mediocre Not spicy enough somehow.

& they get to have their 50 be this special purpose and kind of show
offie thing.
I think it's a shame to be deprived of working with a 50 Summicron of
any exact vintage.

When i got my Noctilux just a few months back it was a thrill but after
a month it came off again with the Summicron on the camera and it was a
thrill to use. My Summicron is the one with the lens hood which comes
off. And it was my first lens. 8 years old.
But i am shooting it much more wide open then i ever was, and other
lenses as well. And enjoying it more.
F 2 and be there.

It's like it took having a Noctilux to make me realize the joys of wide
open shooting. (yawn)
Before I'd always stop down.
Nikonlike.

But one can venture out with Noctilux in the morning and come back with
a full day of shooting and it can be a worthwhile deal.
Ted and Tina will testify.
It's greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat! (Tony the Tiger)

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com