Subject: RE: [Leica] NOCTILUX vs. Canon 50 f1 data
From: Félix López de Maturana <fmaturana@euskalnet.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 01:17:17 +0100

> magazine - which I realize is bench testing, not use under fire - <<<<<

<Hi B. D.
<Well you know me, I don't pay much attention to that bench test stuff, as
it
<hasn't got anything to do with the "guts of the content" and that's the
only
<thing that matters when you're using top end glass of any manufacture.

<Unfortunately too many folks get all strung out on test bench numbers of
<thingies per whatever, rather than the quality of the content and end up
<being very versed in sqigglies, but can't take a picture worth a..."add
your
<own description here!" :-)
<ted

<Ted Grant Photography Limited
<www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Hi Ted

I think too that magazine tests are always worse that working with the
lenses on the spot, true pics you know. But with this magazine I had the
opposite way, I've found out tests of lenses which I knew very well. And
I've always found that my own experience matched the tests of Chasseur
d'Images. So I begun to have a real respect of this magazine which never
doubt to say which really thought about any product. It was famous the
strong critic about the lack of focus accuracy of Contax G1. Everybody
protested but Kyocera in some months fixed the "real" problem. Of course
Contax G2 was much better focusing. So I read with care every month their
tests.

Kind regards

Félix

BTW Leica lenses are the only ones to get five stars in the tests if I'm not
wrong.