Subject: Re: [Leica] New RF Buyer...
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 18:49:03 -0700

Well they have been making lenses for a long time.  So the higher the serial
number the newer it is. The newer lenses generally have better optics,
especially wide open. There are fuzzy spots in the lens line up such as 21mm
lenses. The latest Asph version is a stunner but the one before it (21/2.8)
was a controversial lens with many people preferring the older 21/3.4.
Fortunately there are buckets and buckets of posts on the 21mm lenses and
other lenses in the archives. The best way is to actually use the lenses in
question. Beg, borrow or steal various ones and give them a go before
spending your dollars.

I bought the 21 I was sure I wanted; a 21/3.4. Unfortunately, it is only
really a f/4 lens as it flares quite a bit wide open. Amazing performance at
f4 on down but up here in Canada the light seems to be rather thin on the
ground at times. I sold it after a year or so and eventually bought the
21/2.8A. It has simply stunning performance wide open. I might have been
happy with the Voigtina 21/4 as it is so inexpensive but still unfortunately
a bit slow.

John Collier