Subject: Re: [Leica] New RF Buyer...
From: John Straus <Mail@SlideOne.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 20:12:11 -0600

on 12/14/01 12:53 PM, Marc James Small at msmall@roanoke.infi.net wrote:

> That is not the point I was making, John.  RF shooting is entirely
> different from SLR shooting.  I went over in my late 30's, when my eyesight
> started fading, and I could no longer focus in low-light situations.
> Bingo!  RF gear allows me the liberty of doing now at 51 what I did thirty
> years back with a Canon.

This is also what I'm starting to go through. I find myself not being able
to find the focus point with normal to wide lenses with my SLR.

> But the process of changing from SLR to RF is
> immutable and driven and, in the end, you end up doing VERY little flash
> work with a rangefinder.  Just natural light.

I said I almost never use a flash on my SLR and when I do it's fill flash...

> Thus, why not buy cheap and
> learn the system to see if you like it?  You might, in all good faith, hate
> it.  If so, you've only invested a couple of hundred and you can beg out
> without major financial losses.  Buy a new Leica M6 TTL &c, and, if you
> should hate it, you are going to lose a bundle, more than I generally spend
> on any single lens.

Understandable but your talking about not liking the basic functioning of a
rangefinder. There will be a steep learning curve in the beginning for me.
The most important being to slow down and THINK :) I have used rangefinders
before, although sparingly, and believe I can get better in their use with
practice. From my view it's a waste to get something that to me isn't a good
base for a system. I'm not saying your IIIg is not a good camera but
functionality for myself it does nothing except work like a rangefinder.

> Besides, the M6 TTL is ugly and won't accept many of
> the system accessories which make the M3 to M6 such a  wonderful
> progression of excellence.

So now your not talking about the IIIg screwmount? Ugly is a good reason not
to buy something...sarcasm. Name some accessories I'll miss? And I'll tell
you if "I" will miss them at all. Try to give reasons if your going to trash
something, otherwise your comments are pointless.

>> I also am not one to believe that German is better than Canadian unless it's
>> a proven fact in real world applications.
>
> Calm down, John.  My comment was a joke -- Ted Grant is Canadian and
> rapidly jumps to the defense of all things Canadian.  I occasionally jab
> him.  He sometimes wakes up enough to respond but he is generally snoring
> over his Noctilux and cannot be disturbed -- his assistant, after all, has
> done all the REAL work since the Unfortunate Incident Of The Diarrhetic
> Cow, but that, then, is a tale that has been told often and long on this List.

I'm calm...? How am I supposed to know your telling some joke? You make no
notion of it. No winks, smileys, or explination. Also it's nice that you
explained yourself in this message and made some valid points. I guess I'm
not keen on giving info hoping for good feedback then getting short
don't tell them. I haven't learnd ESP yet...working on it ;) (joke)
- --
John
Chicago, IL
http://SlideOne.com