Subject: RE: [Leica] Noctilux-ASPH?
From: leica@davidmorton.org
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 13:13:46 -0000

John Collier wrote:

"Do not hold your breath. I think it will be a long time before the Nocti is
redesigned."

I wonder if that's true? It's a 25 year old design (positively ancient in
comparison to much of Leica's current M lens range). It's Leica's 'flagship'
lens and yet the performance has now been matched by another manufacturer
(Canon), and so I can see *some* commercial imperative for Leica to look at
the design again.

Leica's stated reason for the effort it has put into redesigning the lens
range (for which all credit to them, it must be a considerable financial
burden for such a relatively small business), is that film emulsions have
improved dramatically in the last 20 years. Those improvements apply to the
Nocti as much as they do to the other lenses in the range.

All I can say to the bunnies at Solms is can you finish the 24mm Asph
Summicron first, pretty please?

- --
David Morton
dmorton@journalist.co.uk

"The more opinions you have, the less you see." -- Wim Wenders.