Subject: Re: [Leica] Noktones et ULtrones
From: Mark Langer <mlanger@ccs.carleton.ca>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 09:13:35 -0500

I'm with Don on this, and certainly am one of those who has been singing the praises of the Soviet Jupiter 50mm f1.5 lens in LTM.  I have
used this on Leicas for a few years and am very impressed with its performance, which compares to that of the wartime and postwar Zeiss
Jena and Opton 50mm f1.5 Sonnars that I have in Contax mount.  It is the height of insanity in my view for someone to fork out $1,200 to
$2,000 for a Nokton in LTM as a shooter, when that person could be using a Jupiter with comparable performance for one-twentieth of the
price.  Given that authorities like MJS rate this lens at a level above or equal to all but the most recent Summilux, one has to wonder
why this lens is not more highly sought out.

Mark