Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW Week December 22nd, 2001 Redo--Alfie Wang
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 18 Dec 2001 08:07:56 -0800

On Tue, 18 December 2001, "Wang, Albert" wrote:

> Considering that this week's PAW was not up to Leitz standards, I decided to
> choose a different PAW instead of the "All-American Girl" which I am
> reshooting for the record :)... Here is an experimental shot of wind chimes
> which was taken using the R4. Check it out at:
> http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=468470 . :)
>
> Critiques, judgments, and fanatical vitriol much appreciated by the author.
>
> Leicafully,
> Alfie

Alfie, I'm not into fanatical vitriol but I'll try with the critique and judgement stuff...

I think the results of your photographic efforts will improve most with classes involving one-on-one, face-to-face critiques and suggestions with someone who is trained in teaching photography and who has the opportunity to see ALL of your negatives.  There may be something in the negs you haven't posted that have some promise, and a trained photography teacher who can help you with making your negs and making your prints (or scans) will benefit you far more than an internet group can.  This is NOT an invitation to post your entire contact sheet because I don't have the time or bandwidth to review everything.

Among other things you need a foundation of good technique before many of us can offer reasoned criticism.  There is no substitute for this.  I agree there are many good or even excellent photographs where good technique was ignored but you have to KNOW good technique before you can make appropriate use of INGORING good technique.

You have written on this forum and others that you don't have the time for classes, but you seem to have lots of time for posting messages on-line.  You'll make better use of your time in classes.

Respectfully,

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com