Subject: Re: [Leica] New M6 Titanium & suitability of M& for wildlife photography
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 19 Dec 2001 09:17:19 -0800

On Wed, 19 December 2001, "fs" wrote:

> I_m interested in the M6 only because of my interest in
> photographing parrots in the rainforests of South America.
> I wonder if 135mm is enough telephoto - is there nothing more powerful from
> a third party? - perhaps I would be better off with a Hassie, except for the
> size and possibly the build quality of the Hassie body which is not, I've
> heard, in the same league as the M6.
>
> frank

Unless the birds are captive or habituated to humans, 135mm isn't going to be enough lens.  Rain forests are a particularly difficult environment for wildlife photography because the dense foliage keeps most natural light from reaching the forest floor, many of the critters are high in the trees, and the rain & humidity add their own unique problems.

TTL flash with a Better Beamer-like flash extender, with at least 300mm or so of lens will probably work better, and your chances of problems from the rain and humidity are reduced with mechanical cameras.  Among Leica equipment, the R6.2 & a fast APO-Telyt seems like the best bet.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe