Subject: [Leica] Lens humor
From: "tm" <leicar8@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 08:22:10 -0800

I just received the 12/15/01 issue of Amateur Photographer airmail from
England here in California and encountered a reprint of this old, small,
humerous atricle that appeared back in April of 1962. Written by Victor
Blackman, It pertains to one of the world's most beautiful women, Sophia
Loren, and I chuckled greatly while sipping my morning coffee:

"Many famous personalities are keen amateur photographers, but I seriously
wonder how much film-star Gina Lollobrigida knows about the long-focus lens
she was carrying in my picture, which was taken in Moscow. Could one of the
press boys have put it into her hands, I wonder? However, a compatriot of
hers, Sophia Loren, certainly knows something about photography -- as I know
to my cost. When she was in London I met her at a cocktail party in the
Savoy and thought I would do some candids of her with my Leica while she was
chatting to some friends. Rapidly focusing up, I started shooting away, but
to my disappointment, she started gesticulating at me. I said, "No, no! I
don't want you to pose -- just forget I am here," and carried on shooting.
But Sophia continued to wave at me and I became more exasperated. In the
end, she broke away from the group and came over to me. Before I could say a
word, she pointed to my lens, looked at me, and gave me a mischievous wink.
I looked down and discovered I stil had the lens cap on! That incident
happened about three years ago, and every time I have met Sophia since, she
has joked about it -- sometimes, to my horror, in front of rival
photographers. She is still very high on my list of famous people I
genuinely like."

Terry

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com> (Re: [Leica] Lens humor)
Reply from "SonC (Sonny Carter)" <sonc@sonc.com> (Re: [Leica] Lens humor)