Subject: Re: [Leica] got my Noctilux
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 18:18:47 -0800

Rei Shinozuka wrote:

> in my experience, 400 is fine for a well-lit office indoor environment,
> for a darker interior, such as many restaurants, 800 or above is more
> comfortable, even at f1.0.
>
> -rei
>
> > From: "Jeffery L.Smith" <jsmith45@bellsouth.net>
> >
> > My very thoughts as well. I was wondering just how dark an environment
> > would have to be to shoot 1600 ISO film at f/1.

You forgot to pick a shutter speed!
Say you were thinking 1/50th the so called rule of thumb for decent hand
held 50mm lens shooting at it's lowest speed.

Just set your camera at those parameters and adjust the dimmer in the
room until you've got your camera meter centrally lit.

I guess you need an F1 lens to do that unless you wanted to compensate
by just setting f1.4 at a 30th which is of courser not exact.
So you could use a hand held meter. They are good for such things.

Sometimes its nice to take your hand held meter for a walk. See what it
tells you. Try to outguess it.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com