Subject: RE: RE: [Leica] Who'd be a PJ in these troubled times?
From: Simon Stevens <simon@camera-craftsman.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 07:24:44 -0500

B.D.

I see where you are coming from, but as a freelancer in Washington, DC I
was often hired for PR shots by people whose causes I didn't agree with.
For example, I was hired to photograph a noisy demonstration for steel
industry protection, while I am a firm believer in free trade. I never
discussed politics with them, it was all business.

Of course, what they asked me to do was not illegal. In my view a
freelancer willing to break the law with a client cannot shield himself
by crying "professional."

As for PR photography = PJ. I never considered myself as such. When you
do PR you are trying to please the client. A lot of demonstrations are
quite small, but you don't want to show that and make the client look
pathetic. A real PJ would (in theory) be neutral, and he might therefore
legitmately claim protections that a hired photographer cannot.

Simon Stevens