Subject: [Leica] Strange, disturbing occurence....
From: JP M <skeenut@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 16:01:35 -0800 (PST)

Hello All:
The group has been very helpful to me as a new M6
owner in choosing a first lens.
Well, the lens arrived today and it's great and I am
thrilled.
I was shooting around in my office and then at our
Holiday party at a local restaurant.  Just my work
friends, no gutsy PJ stuff for me, not yet anyway.
So I was walking back to my car, this is in a city in
central NJ that houses the state University.  It was
about 4:00 in the afternoon and the light was great.
So I took out the camera and was walking along the
street when some neat looking concrete stairs that
went up about a story or so to railroad tracks
appeared ahead of me about 75 yards away.  A target!!
I was walking toward them with a multi story parking
garage on my left side and was framing, checking
exposure, stopping, fiddling with the camera, framing,
walking, fiddling with the camera...when suddenly a
Security Guard appeared in front of me and said, "You
can't take a picture of this building."  To which I
replied, wittily, "Huh?"
To which he replied, menacingly, "This is a private
building, you can't take pictures of it."  To which I
replied, incredulously, "What?"  And so on...me
explaining that I didn't want to take a picture of his
building, I was just taking an exposure reading and
that I wanted to shoot the stairs over there and him
not understanding and now saying that I couldn't take
pictures here at all and me starting to get hot and
saying what do they own the sidewalk and him getting
loud and close and other guards now coming over and I
bravely....stomped off.  Took the picture just past
the edge of their turf, way too close to the stairs
and way too jerky with these goons glaring at me.
I was/am outraged to be intimidated/threatened by
rent-a-cops for some major Pharmaceutical concern
whose initals are J&J that thinks a camera near their
parking garage poses a threat.
Jeesh!!
I guess this is 9.11 fallout.  But I'm pissed.
Jeff