Subject: Re: [Leica] Strange, disturbing occurence....
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 19:44:45 -0800

Jeff wrote:
>>> I was walking toward them with a multi story parking
> garage on my left side and was framing, checking
> exposure, stopping, fiddling with the camera, framing,
> walking, fiddling with the camera...when suddenly a
> Security Guard appeared in front of me and said, "You
> can't take a picture of this building."  To which I
> replied, wittily, "Huh?"
> To which he replied, menacingly, "This is a private
> building, you can't take pictures of it."  To which I
> replied, incredulously, "What?"  And so on...me
> explaining that I didn't want to take a picture of his
> building, I was just taking an exposure reading and
> that I wanted to shoot the stairs over there and him
> not understanding and now saying that I couldn't take
> pictures here at all and me starting to get hot and
> saying what do they own the sidewalk and him getting
> loud and close and other guards now coming over and I
> bravely....stomped off.  Took the picture just past
> the edge of their turf, way too close to the stairs
> and way too jerky with these goons glaring at me.
> I was/am outraged to be intimidated/threatened by
> rent-a-cops for some major Pharmaceutical concern
> whose initals are J&J that thinks a camera near their
> parking garage poses a threat.
> Jeesh!!
> I guess this is 9.11 fallout.  But I'm pissed.<<<<<<

Jeff, Screw them!  Big time!

Normally I don't go this route, but there is a point of common sense about
this situation and the mental midget security forces who think the bloody
world is about to immediately come to an end over the events of September
11, 2001.

Sure it was a catastrophic event, but the world can't come to a screaming
halt because of it. And if it does, the sons of bitches have won.

Damn, I'd go after your civil liberty rights to be able to continue taking
pictures in the way that you always had.   Does this sound like I'm angry?
Your damn right, because these mickey mouse security mental midgets now feel
they can wield their power to a greater strength than ever before.
I'd write a formal complaint to whomever the corporation is who owns the
parking garage and explain exactly what your picture was about just as you
explained it here. Fine tuned, never the less a similar type of letter and
ask for an apology for the intrusion into your right as a private citizen
and amateur photographer o take your pictures.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Replies: Reply from Andrew Schroter <schroter@optonline.net> (Re: [Leica] Strange, disturbing occurence....)