Subject: Re: [Leica] It's official - the Tri-Elmar rules!
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 11:04:53 +0000

At 11:21 PM 12/21/01 EST, SthRosner@aol.com wrote:
>Note that Erwin states that at f/2,8 the 50/2 Summicron HAS PERFECT
>QUALITIES. We know that the optical quality of the 50/2 Summicron improves
at
>f/4 and f/5,6. It is not easy to understand how the Tri-Elmar at f/4 and
50mm
>can be better than perfect? And Erwin makes no reference to the Tri-Elmar's
>performance at other apertures and at its 28mm and 35mm. focal lengths,
>contenting himself with the assertion that <the Tri-Elmar is better. Period.>
>
>Full, fair and objective scientific analysis?

Y'know, Seth, there are carpers and whingers and folks of a generally
negative bent, and then there are folks who accomplish something with their
lives.

If you want to do something positive, get down of that extremely high horse
you insist on riding around, as it makes you, well, look more than a bit
foolish -- verb. sap., and all that.  Then walk to your nearest optical lab
and using careful and proper techniques, test these lenses for yourself.
Pray, let us know how your results differ from Erwin's.

In the early days of the LUG, Erwin battered me to a pulp on the relative
qualities of the various 2/5cm and 2/50 Summicrons.  I bothered to spend a
LOT of time analyzing his results with an open mind and found out that the
lad knows exactly what he is talking about.

So, quit your gripin' and hie the to a lab!

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!

Replies: Reply from "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com> ([Leica] Re: It's official - the Tri-Elmar rules!)