Subject: RE: [Leica] [OT] Frugal for PAW...
From: "rp johnson" <rpjohnson2@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 11:39:10 -0800

John,

You can tell it is the holiday season and someone (me) got their shopping
done early and has waaaay too much time on their hands.

So:

Yes, developing your own B&W is cheaper and faster, although if you find it
acceptable, you can have the 1hr place do your C41 B&W rolls and do not
have prints made too.  That limits you to Ilford XP2 and Kodak's 400 speed
films though.  Then there is the contact sheet problem:
a. hardliners will say, "just look at the negs with a loupe.  That's how
REAL men do it."
b. you can make a contact sheet with "printing out paper".  Requires no
chemicals or darkroom
c. you can buy a flat bed scanner that will scan negs.  Seems to me that
Godfrey DiGiorgi had a mini review of one that was pretty nifty.  He was
going to use it for MF neg scanning as I recall.

Choice c. may not qualify as "frugal", but it is a relative term.

RP Johnson

John Straus wrote:

It's almost Ho, ho, ho time and PAW 2002 is right around the corner. I hope
to embark on this mission and have as much success through the year as
others have, if nothing else learn from the experience.

The question I have is what are some good ways of shooting a roll a week
but
not spending a lot of $$ doing so? My normal methods are shoot slides or
print film and go to a ProLab for Dip&Dunk. That is just not going to be
economical for me to do that @ $9 or $17 per roll.

Sooo I was thinking of going back to some B&W neg film and do the
processing
myself. It would save some $$ (I think) and I could look at the film a lot
faster (same eve) instead of taking it to a lab and wait 3 days. I can set
something up to at least process the negs but I still need a proof sheet. I
have a slide scanner but the thought of proofing a few frames at a time
feeding in and out doesn't seem like the best way, or is it? I was thinking
of getting a cheap $100 flatbed to do the proofing on and I could use it
anytime I didn't want prints made for the color neg film I shoot. How do
you
guys do it? Any thoughts or ideas appreciated!

- --
John
Chicago, IL
http://SlideOne.com