Subject: RE: [Leica] Strange, disturbing occurrence....
From: "rp johnson" <rpjohnson2@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 22:02:59 -0800

> To which he replied, menacingly, "This is a private
> building, you can't take pictures of it."  To which I
> replied, incredulously, "What?"

as far as i understand, you can take a picture of whatever the hell you
want if you're in a public place.  if you're *on* private property, then
the owner can restrict your behavior, but if you're on a public street,
you can shoot at will.  you should have taken pics of the rent-a-goons.

Puhleeeze! (I always wanted to do that).

Yes, the guard (or "goon") was wrong.  You had "right" on your side.  But,
are the LUGGERS going to pony up the attorney's fee when you sue the
company and the guards for assault , medical expenses, and damaged or
destroyed equipment?  Thought not.

I beg you not to take the advice and opinions you get here and go marching
back, camera in hand, and tell the big goon to "stick it where the sun
don't shine" you are going to photograph the building and what's he going
to do about it?  You don't REALLY want to find out, do you?

If this really bothers you, you might write a nice polite firm letter to
the company's legal counsel relating your story (calmly) and suggesting
that this lack of familiarity with this area of the law on the part of
their security personnel could have unfortunate legal and public relations
consequences (don't threaten, just point this out).  Who knows, they may
buy you lunch.

RP Johnson

Replies: Reply from Andrew Schroter <schroter@optonline.net> (Re: [Leica] Strange, disturbing occurrence....)