Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Vuescan (was: Scanning the Wild Kodachrome)
From: gb@murphy.bofh.ms (Georg Bauer)
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 12:33:42 GMT

In article <3C26C370.D4F70ECF@webshuttle.ch>,
	Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> writes:
> too much, then I get undesireable artifacts. I guess the bottom line is that
> scanners simply do not like film that is too dense.

Yep. That's a big problem. But there is an (not so easy) way out: scan
those dense images twice. Once with preferences on the highlights and
once with preferences on the shadows. Both won't be really good, but you
can combine them if you put them into two layers and play with the layer
combinations a bit. This often gives you nice ways out of too-dense
images.

Another (easier) way is to first fiddle a bit in the levels tool,
instead of using brightness and contrast. It often gives much better
results and less artifacts. If it can't fix it, use the above one.

If you happened to take a series with varying exposure, you can combine
those images, too. There is even a photoshop action at

http://www.fredmiranda.com/DRI/index.html

This is made originally for digital cameras but should work with scans,
too. Increases the dynamic range of your images quite a bit. I didn't
try it myself, but I played with the manual way a bit.

bye, Georg