Subject: Re: [Leica] Vuescan and Nikon's Scan 3.1
From: "Gerry Walden" <gwpix@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 06:54:51 +0000

I used both extensively on a PC and never had any clashing problems. I found
that there were situations in which one was better than the other, but in
general I guess that Vuescan won on 90% of occasions. There were just odd
occasions where a better scan could be had from the Nikon software, with no
apparent logic. The thing that Vuescan is particularly great for is ICE
usage on Kodachrome and b&w negs. It also has grain reduction for b&w. For
some reason it seems to be able to use the ICE software in the Nikon scanner
with no problem on these films whereas Nikon software fails totally.

Vuescan updates remarkably regularly and the support is very good. Updates
are free of charge. I have just changed computer and scanner and now have a
Canon Canoscan FS4000, and Vuescan also works with that with no problem
whatsoever, so it is nice to know that a program will be transferable with
scanners. Ed Hamrick helped out with support when I needed it for the
transfer.

At the price I think you would find it hard to beat.

Gerry
www.gwpics.com