Subject: Re: [Leica] how many M6 can they..
From: Mark Kronquist <mak@teleport.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 09:44:44 -0800

On 12/27/01 8:02 AM, "Simon ALIBERT" <simonalibert@mac.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was just wondering how many M6 per month Leica sell ?
> And btw how many M6 can they be manufactured every month ?
> Thanks
>
> --
> Simon
>
> --
They appear to be made in batches from all the photos the totes on a
technician's bench hold a dozen or so bodies...

based on serial numbers (which Leica stopped reporting in 1988) Leica has
built about 1,000,000 cameras since 1980 (I have a 1980 M4-P in the high
million fives) my O Series is in the low two million sixes...so say total is
50,000 per year.

According to guides R-4/S/P/Mod2 ran about 50-60k total

Perhaps twice TO 3X that for R5 RE R6 R7 R6.2 AND R8

Say 200-250k R cameras

Perhaps 30-50K M4-P's

Perhaps 50K O Series Collectors Versions of M6 etc

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF THE COMPACTS SHARE THE SAME LOT OF SN's?

550k cameras / 16 years = 34k M6's a year which seems sky high as average M
production is 10-12k per year even during the good years...

US Sales in the west were only 60-80 units a year (M6) in the Mid 1990s
according to a rep at the time