Subject: Re: [Leica] Gamma (was: my first Noctilux pictures & Gamma settings...)
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 17:53:35 -0500

Brian-
Darn! I woulda thunk you for a LINUX guy! I've been playing with LINUX as my
Windows 2000 installation may be Bill's last chance to get into my computer.
I was impressed with GIMP as a pretty neat program, and if this LINDOWS
thing takes off- where you can run LINUX and WINDOWS software on the same
machine- it might be the real bleeding edge of computer technology!
Dan

> Yes, alas. I made the images on my Mac. Before announcing them, I went to
check them on my PC, where, of course, they were dark and ugly. So I quickly
made the PC images, and then collapsed (it was at least an hour past my
usual bedtime). I saved the PC images with the profile in them because I
forgot to strip it out.

> This morning, by light of day, I realize that the right thing to do here
is to made a web site that has images with PC gamma, but which also contain
color tags, so that Macs can do the necessary conversion. I intend to look
around the web at various high-end photography sites to see if this is how
they do it. I've only had my Mac for a couple of weeks after years of using
a PC, so I'm not entirely up to speed on the right ways to use it.