Subject: Re: [Leica] WAS-Widows XP/Mac was Gamma, NOW- What next?
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 10:26:28 -0500

Brian-
One more word!!!
I just bought a little printer from Sam's Club- an Apollo which uses the HP
cartridges, and acts like a little HP printer, and hooked it to the linux
box I have been playing with. It was only $39.99, actually cheaper than
buying the two ink cartridges that came with it! ( I wonder if they thought
I was nuts buying three more printers for the ink carts?)
I have been playing with the linux box- an older slower PC that was given to
me, and which I set up as a test platform.
I cannot believe a mchine that runs for weeks without needing rebooting! I
have played some with GIMP- the Gnu Image Manipulation Program, and was
surprised to find a lot of features in there that are duplicates of
Photoshop and Corel Photopaint functions. I have already hooked my Digilux
to the box with gPhoto- and they actually have Leica digilux drivers! The
next thing is to find one of these cheap little scanners and try it---
My reason really, for writing is to ask if you think that linux might become
a viable alternative for digital manipulation? I know the support is a bit
fragmented, but I am not all that adept at computers, and I already have a
usable, though slow 166MHz system running. It reminds me of the DOS days of
the mid-80's, but the advances seem to be coming more quickly. I like the
stability, and relative compactness of the system- I stuck a 256Mb stick of
RAM- currently about $20! in it and the resource meter seems to indicate
that I barely scratch the surface when it comes to RAM usage, even with
relatively large images.
MACs are expensive, but PC hardware is CHEAP, and if there is a viable
alternative to Windows out there, I am sure that many would be interested in
your thoughts.... Leically speaking, of course! :o)
Dan ( Okay- all you need to do is find the file named -
image-leica.2000-12-29.frammistan.eng001.DSC0091.jpg! Piece o' cake!) Post

Message from Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us> (RE: [Leica] Re: Widows XP/Mac was Gamma)