Subject: [Leica] my first Noctilux pictures USING THE LIGHT!
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 21:22:47 -0800

Brian Reid wrote:
>>> Gosh. I think that the basic reason for owning a Noctilux is that you
never
> have to think about this again. I just used whatever light was in the
rooms.
> Floor lamps from Pottery Barn, mostly. I tried to position myself so that
> could see the subject, and, where possible, I tried to get onto the "dark
> side", <<<<<<<,

Hi Brian,
It sounds like you're on the right track for using available lighting. Not
only that, it looks like you're on the right track certainly with the lady
seated in the chair, as it's a perfect example of "shooting from the shadow
side."

I've been doing that for years and it's one of the staples of my teaching,
"Seeing Light and how to use it." Every year during my Leica Seminar I give
a presentation on light, how to recognize it and how to make it work for
you.

And as you said, "as I gain more experience with the Noctilux I will learn
places
> to stand or sit or lie, with respect to the room lighting, that will work
> better than others.<<<<<<<

Exactly, and that's what it's all about.  Light isn't just a sufficient
amount to make an exposure, it's understanding how to use the available
existing light before you. And to use it in a manner that's enhancing to
your subject and the end result. With a Noctilux it's almost impossible to
find a place where you "can't take pictures by the existing light of the
moment" hand holding your M camera of whatever vintage.

A solid effort Brian keep 'em coming. :-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant