Subject: Re: [Leica] my first Noctilux pictures
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 19:20:56 -0800

> What lighting were
> you using?

Gosh. I think that the basic reason for owning a Noctilux is that you never
have to think about this again. I just used whatever light was in the rooms.
Floor lamps from Pottery Barn, mostly. I tried to position myself so that I
could see the subject, and, where possible, I tried to get onto the "dark
side", but mostly I just held the camera and pushed the button, figuring that
if I could see it, then the camera could see it.

Most people have very uneven and contrasty light in their living spaces, and
I think that as I gain more experience with the Noctilux I will learn places
to stand or sit or lie, with respect to the room lighting, that will work
better than others.

I found myself thinking often of Colin Vozeh's "Available Dark" concept.

Brian Reid

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> ([Leica] my first Noctilux pictures USING THE LIGHT!)