Subject: Re: [Leica] Not really OT: Push & pull of neg film
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 23:34:07 -0800

John Straus wrote:

> on 12/27/01 3:59 PM, Jeffery Smith at jsmith45@bellsouth.net wrote:
>
> > I have no idea how to even use an unsharp mask. Jasc software gives you 3
> > parameters that mean nothing to me: (1) radius, (2) strength, and (3)
> > clipping. What on earth do these mean, and what would be a reasonable
> > setting for them?
>
> No help file?? If I had to guess. Radius=what size you want your edge to be
> .6-1.2 in PS, Strength=how much sharpening effect you want 50-80 for web in
> PS, & Clipping=how smooth do you want to keep your photo (not sharpening ea
> pixel) 1-5 (smoothest) is normal for PS. I wouldn't trust me on this one
> though since I have no idea how to use that software.
>
> --

In "unsharp mask" in Photoshop there are three parameters

"Amount"	usually between 75 and 250, any bigger it gets to look like a
Xerox of a Xerox.
"Radius"	usually between .4 and .8	It seems to me that very large file
sizes require a higher number. Even 1 or slightly above.
"Threshold"	always at zero. Only suckers play with this parameter says
Deke McClelland in the Photoshop Bible.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com