Subject: Re: [Leica] my first Noctilux pictures USING THE LIGHT!
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 01:25:00 -0800 (PST)

Ted Grant wrote:
Hi Brian,
It sounds like you're on the right track for using available lighting.
Not only that, it looks like you're on the right track certainly with
the lady seated in the chair, as it's a perfect example of "shooting
from the shadow side."

I've been doing that for years and it's one of the staples of my
teaching, "Seeing Light and how to use it." Every year during my Leica
Seminar I give a presentation on light, how to recognize it and how to
make it work for you.

And as you said, "as I gain more experience with the Noctilux I will
learn places to stand or sit or lie, with respect to the room lighting,
that will work better than others."

Exactly, and that's what it's all about.  Light isn't just a sufficient
amount to make an exposure, it's understanding how to use the available
existing light before you. And to use it in a manner that's enhancing
to your subject and the end result. With a Noctilux it's almost
impossible to find a place where you "can't take pictures by the
existing light of the moment" hand holding your M camera of whatever
vintage.

A solid effort Brian keep 'em coming. :-)
ted

Ted,

That's *exactly* what I need to learn! I don't have a Noct but my 50
Summilux comes close enough for me to take hand-held portraits indoors
by window light. I was disappointed, recently, with results that
clearly showed I was NOT photographing from an advantageous angle and I
was NOT making good use of the light. My wife (the "victim" in this
case) was disappointed too. Very contrasty results indeed and yet it
didn't look too bad through the viewfinder. The whole series of
portraits was entirely spoilt by the pooor lighting. I clearly need to
learn how to "read" the light. Available light photography ain't as
easy as it looks (sigh) :-(

Regards,

=====
Ray