Subject: Re: [Leica] Color match/calibration/printing
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 08:35:12 -0500

Robert,  Nathan's suggestions were good ones.  I would like to add the
magazine "Photoshop User".  Usually there are three to four good suggestions
every month that a photographer can use.

For a quickie, I assume that you have calibrated your monitor to a print
out, if not then the Lenswork site at the bottom has a decent monitor
calibration page that you can download, print out and make whatever
adjustments are necessary.

1) prescan a B/W neg without the ICE function.  Pull out the tabs to the
left if you are using Nikon Scan whatever.  Adjust the curve to get what
looks decent on the screen.  You may have to adjust the black point in the
levels dialogue which is another pull out tab.

2)Perform a final scan either into a file or into Photoshop.

3) Using the clone tool at about 100% go through the image and clean up dust
and scratches.

4) Using levels, Image, Adjust, Levels, set the sliders on the bottom to the
edges of the histogram if the histogram doesn't go edge to edge.  Use the
middle slider to adjust the middle grays, easy does it.

5) If you don't have a satisfactory black then while still in levels click
on the black eyedropper, move it to the part of the image that you want to
be black with no detail and click there.

6)  If the grayscale of your image is not satisfactory then open the curves
dialogue box Image, Adjust, Curves.  Tweek the curve in the area that need
improvement.  Specifically say, your midtones are dull and dark then
somewhere in the middle of the curve put your pointer on the curve and move
it up a little.  Keep tweaking until the image looks good to you.

7)  Save the file as a Tiff or some other file that doesn't lose
information.

8) Perform an unsharp mask,Filter,Sharpen, Unsharp Mask.  The percentage
will be somewhere between 50 and 200. You can see what you are doing by
putting the printer over part of the image that you care about with the
preview box checked.  The next option is radius.  I get my best results from
0.6 to 1.2.  Your last option is threshold which is between 0 and 6 per the
last postings.

9) Size the image with resample turned off

10) Open the Print set up box tell the printer what size/type paper you are
using, orientation, and to use the enhance or not. Then print.

11) Compare the print to the monitor and make adjustments in Gamma to the
monitor, for color that will be another post.

Write if this is unclear.

Don Dory
dorysrus@mindspring.com