Subject: [Leica] technical help wanted
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 19:42:40 -0800

I've decided that I'm going to make a LUG PAW server that people can mail
their photos to, open free of charge to any memeber of the LUG, because I
think that this PAW concept is truly great. I think that the biggest single
impediment to more people doing PAW is the problem of getting and maintaining
a web site, so if I automate that and make it open to everyone, then nobody
will have an excuse not to take more pictures.

I've worked out in my head how to do it, but there's one piece of technology
that I don't know how to do, and before I go waste a week trawling
SourceForge and Google and reading manuals, I thought I'd ask the group.

I need a Unix program that can input a MIME file and emit the attachments.
I'd prefer it not be written in Perl because then I'd have to learn Perl,
which I've successfully avoided for 20 years. Howver, as long as it's
callable from the shell, I guess I shouldn't look inside.

Basically I want to say
	mkdir foo.dir
	extractAttachments foo.dir < mail-message.txt
and have foo.dir contain all of the jpegs, viruses, hoaxes, TNEFs, and other
junk that people attach. Once I have a binary jpeg in foo.dir I know how to
find it and take it from there, using netpbm.

(Yes, Virginia, I want to do this with shell scripts. I am good at ignoring
the scorn that people heap on me for my love of shell scripts.)

I'm looking for a magic bullet in "extractAttachments". I'm sure that
somewhere on the net somebody has a library function that will do this, but
unless it's a library for a language that I know, it won't do me any good.

On the other hand, if anybody wants to do the whole thing, I'll happily
provide the internet server and all the network code you can eat. My only
requirement is that it's got to run in my server environment, which is
FreeBSD 4.4/Apache 1.3.22

Replies: Reply from Jeff Moore <jbm@oven.com> ([Leica] Re: technical help wanted)