Subject: Re: [Leica] freezing/frozen range-finder coupler?
From: Dennis Painter <dennis@hale-pohaku.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 21:08:05 -0800

c chang wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Do we have to winter-ise our beloved M's?
>
> I was in Coney Island the other day, it was about in
> the mid-thirties but wind-chill made it more like in
> the twenties. My M3 with Summaron 35/3.5 was in my Air
> Force parka and only came out as i needed it. It
> worked great. The M4 with Summilux 50/1.4 seemed to
> have some problem: when I focused on the infinity for
> landscape it was fine (the range-finder coupling lever
> was pushed toward the shutter plane/film.) When I
> tried to take a picture of a seabird that was feet
> away the range-finder coupling seemed "stuck" at the
> infinity (and not bounced back to the position away
> from the shutter plane/film.)
<snip>

Only people (and animals) are affected by wind chill.

I'm not expert on this but if my camera did this with temps in the 30s
it's time for CLA. (he says from sunny SoCal, well it rained today ;=)

> Also a related question: When a M is not used (like
> that could happen) should it be left: A. lens-less
> with body-cap; B. lens-on but focus at the nearest
> distance (so the range-finder coupling is not
> "stressed/pressed".)

I've never given it a thought. I can't imagine it matters. Never read
anything that would indicated otherwise.

Dennis