Subject: Re: [Leica] Tri-Elmar - a new thread (for a change)
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 06:45:14 +0800

then my friend Mark Rabiner wrote:

>To me it's a big slow optical compromise.
>
>My progression was in the early 90's to stop using zooms but more of the
>classic Nikon primes.
>Then switching to Leica M.
>
>Then Leica comes out with a slow optical compromise.
>But now at least they have a DOF scale on it.
>
>It's on the bottom of my list of current Leica lenses I'd ever get.
>Although that list keeps getting smaller.

I have one in me hands at der moment and this one's come a long way since
the heavier first generation in 1998. Now not much bigger than my 50
summilux-M, handling is lighter, smoother and "zoom" clicks stops are more
decisive. I used to think that the fastest f4 posed a problem until I
realised that not that many of my pics were taken at stops faster than f4.
My favourite other lens is the 35/1.4 (pre asph) summilux-M (my artform
lens as I like to call it) and this is easily pocketable and used in low
light situations. My auto HX-18 (corny-kah) flash gun is easily pocketable
and has two auto settings - at f5.6 und f.11 - and this is well matched to
the TriElmar. While it is nice to have big f stops, the convenience of this
lens grows on you. I have been contemplating (dragging feet) for 2 years
but, much to my surprise, have no regrets owning one.

Dan K.
           ........only men of character are trusted.