Subject: RE: [Leica] Whither Kodak RFS 3600
From: "Tim Atherton" <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 19:13:16 -0700

> I have had my LS4000 up and running for a week or so and I had been
> considering the SF-200 Slide attachment. What's the story on this unit?
>
> For $500.00 US it should work perfectly.

It does the job - eventually, but for what you pay for it, it's an
overpriced badly built piece of crap!

I've had to run several hundred card mounted slides through it and it
constantly jams, sucking two in, or pushing them out into the wrong spot and
buggers it up. You have construct little templates out of old credit cards
to narrow the slot. Even with plastic mounts it still often times jams.

The little bits of tin that form the guides bend out of shape. If you try
and put the recommended 50 slides in they are under way too much tension
(depending on the mount). What provides the tension is a cheap little spring
that weakens with time.... I think it's built to tolerances of about +or-
1"......

etc...etc.

It's not great out of the box, and for what is a "bulk" scanner it doesn't
stand up too well to large volume usage - been through two replacements that
broke.

It does work, but in my experience, not without a lot of frustration. In
many cases I fear to leave it on it's own, as when it does jam it makes such
fearsome noises and grindings I feel it may eventually burst into flame!

So, if you have $500 to spare, go for it! It will do the job - sort of

Over 3 different units and a few thousand images, imo it's garbage.

Tim A

Replies: Reply from "Greg J. Lorenzo" <gregj.lorenzo@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Whither Kodak RFS 3600)
Reply from Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com> (RE: [Leica] Whither Kodak RFS 3600)