Subject: [Leica] Backpack
From: "Oliver Bryk" <oliverbryk@attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 20:22:12 -0800

Henry Ting wrote:

Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 12:36:45 -0800 (PST)
From: Henry Ting <henryting10@yahoo.com>
After close to 15 years of using my Fogg's shoulder
bag, sadly I have to retire it. It's been with me all
over the world. From the Rockies to the tropical Far
East, it has served me well. However, since
approaching senior years, I found lugging a shoulder
bag with all the gears is taking a toll on my physical
frame. I'm thinking of switching to a backpack.
Any recommendations ??? I looked at the Billingham
Rucksack and they seem to be well constructed. Anybody
have any experience on these backpacks ?

Henry, I've been a senior for a good many years. Not only do my shoulders
and back hurt after lugging a loaded Domke for the better part of a day but
by afternoon my pictures get skewed!
Since I have been backpacking like forever, I still have my ancient Kelty
external frame pack; its top compartments hold my Leica or Hasselblad
equipment, other stuff goes in the bottom, foul weather gear underneath, and
the tripod straps across the top, making for a nicely balanced outfit for a
long day of hiking and shooting in the high country of the Sierra.
For shorter trips with the Leica and for overseas, I have been using a
smallish day-and-a-half sized mountain-style pack, without an internal frame
but with an internal semi-rigid plastic plate that I had cut and installed
myself. Into the bottom goes the rain jacket and on top of that I have an
exact duplicate of the compartmented inserts from my Domke F-6. Everything
fits, stays in place, and is cushioned (M6HM, 90mm, 50mm, 35mm, 24mm). There
is room for food and water. I purposely did not want a "photo" backpack with
a brand name that screams "camera inside". Several outfitters make mountain
packs; mine happens to be a Gregory. I use this pack when I want to have my
hands free and need to be balanced, for example, working the Sonoma coast
with its often steep and slippery trails.
Oliver Bryk

Replies: Reply from "John R. Fulton Jr." <JRFjr@compuserve.com> (Re: [Leica] Backpack)