Subject: Re: [Leica] poor lens engagement
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 10:43:08 -0800

At 10:31 PM +0000 12/30/01, lmdmd@att.net wrote:
>Every once in a while, my right hand accidently
>depresses the lens locking button on the M6 body ever
>so slightly so that the bright lines aren't "engaged".
>A solution for this? Could this be a poor design?
>
>Leland Deane

Not having seen your right hand, I'd hate to venture a guess. ;-)

Actually, some of the previous models such as the M4 did not have a
button guard, and occasionally I would hit the button. I never lost a
lens through this, but I'm glad the M6 has the guard, as I don't
think I ever depressed the button unintentionally.

The real solution is to get a Noctilux. With that big thing on the
front, the lens lock button is extremely hard to get at
intentionally, let alone by accident.

In all seriousness, I would guess that you experience that problem
because of the way you hold the camera. Almost all cameras can be
held in such as way as to depress the lens locking button
accidentally, so part of learning to use a camera is to learn how to
hold it so you don't block the viewfinder or rangefinder windows, can
advance the film rapidly, don't jam the rewind crank, and don't
release the lens accidentally. I don't think the M6 is poorly
designed in this regard.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design