Subject: Re: [Leica] Bokeh - proven myth ?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 21:59:21 -0800

><Snip>
>
> It's not that 35/2 won't "provide" bokeh, but a 35/2 won't "provide" near
> the bokeh that a 50/1.4 or 75/1.4 will...nor be as distinguishable, from my
> experiences...
>
> Austin

Won't "provide bokeh"?

You mean you can't get an area out of focus with it?
In my mind that is what that would have to mean.

Ultra wides might be not so much a bokeh issue as that's darn hard to do.
Darn hard to render a background out of focus with a 21 or wider.

But a 35mm lens shot wide open at f2 or f4 even should provide plenty of
out of focus background.
Which is just another way of saying bokeh.

Am I missing something on this one?

Bokeh does not have to mean WAAAY out of focus. It just means soft.
And is it getting bunchy or just soft?
How are less then perfectly sharp areas rendered?
That is what i thought bokeh to mean.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com