Subject: Re: [Leica] Bokeh - proven myth ?
From: S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 22:51:49 -0800

A friend, Ann Fishbein, uses a  Plaubel Makina. While she decries it's
mechanical durability, as it's been in the shop a few times, she won't
switch to anything else. But then she trudges all over the world with
it, with her favorite being the parts of Russia that are more like the
third world. Certainly not the urban beating we would give it here.
Also, I believe it's the only f2.8 6x7 in past production.
She doesn't have a web site, but her photos on Russia with that Plaubel
are in the permanent collection at the Los Angeles Museum of Modern Art.
The ones I've seen rivalled anything that my Rollei could do. The one
thing it could do that my Rollei couldn't is fit in a jacket pocket.
Another friend who uses Fuji 6x9 rangefinders, normal and wide, has
produced, in my opinion, disappointing work with them. That work was
shown in the same museum's display on California Art from the last
century, 20th that is. They were enlarged to the point that the physical
limitations of the fuji optics became quite apparent, in color fidelity,
particularly in the greens, and the most obvious, poor resolution.
Needless to say he's work with his Leicas has always looked far superior
to me than his 6x9 work.
   Slobodan Dimitrov