Subject: RE: [Leica] Bokeh - proven myth ?
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 2 Jan 2002 08:43:51 -0800

On Wed, 02 January 2002, "Frank Filippone" wrote:

> Ted and Sal... you are both trained press photographers.  You handle the
> camera to grab that instant of time that shows whatever it is you see in the
> photo.  Focusing on anything but the subject, and its overall surroundings
> would cost you your livelihood.  You shoot 35 because it is quick and you
> can be light on your feet.  Sal even lists many photographers he has known,
> all to my knowledge, are working press shooters.

Ted and Sal and the other esteemed photojournalists Sal mentioned sell to a different market than the ones I sell to.

People buy prints from me because they want to hang them on their walls, they buy one-time use rights for calendars because the photos are pleasing to the eye... whatever anyone thinks of the social significance of these uses of photography, in this case the appearance of the ENTIRE photograph is important.  It has to have lots of visual appeal and for this, any time there is an out-of-focus part of the photo, bokeh is very important.

I don't change lenses from one exposure to the next to get the "right" bokeh effects.  I sell the lenses that don't produce the results I want.  The non-ED Nikkors I've used had good bokeh but weak color saturation, while the ED Nikkors are incredibly sharp with rich color saturation but horrid bokeh, nearly as ugly as with a mirror lens.

I'll use whatever lens I have on hand, but I'd rather use a lens that combines rich detail and color saturation with a pleasing rendition of out-of-focus areas.  Those lenses, more often than not, are Leica-R lenses.

I see no reason for Ted or Sal to belittle the concern over image properties that are of no significance in their work.  Bokeh IS a big deal for my photos.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe