Subject: RE: RE: [Leica] Bokeh is nonsense!!!
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 2 Jan 2002 09:11:02 -0800

On Wed, 02 January 2002, "Jeffery L.Smith" wrote:

> By the way, does anyone have a Minolta P&S (that really expensive one)?
> I have read that it uses holes of different sizes instead of a
> diaphragm. If they are perfectly round holes, would that not give them
> really bosso bokeh?
>
> Jeffery Smith
> New Orleans, LA

It's not just the shape of the aperture that influences bokeh.  The most signifcant factor is the distribution of light intensity across the circle of confusion.  This can depend on the degree of correction of spherical aberation, among other things, and of course blocking the center of the COF as a mirror lens does screws up the distribution of light intensity.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe