Subject: Re: [Leica] Ilford Delta 3200 developing Xtol
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 09:56:50 -0800

Brian Reid wrote:

> > If you do not want
> > to buy a package of XTOL, then I would suggest using the D-76.
>
> I went to buy some more XTOL on Monday, and the salesman at Keeble and
> Shuchat told me that Kodak has discontinued the 1-quart size and will make
> XTOL only in the 5-liter size from now on.
>
> 5 liters will require that I completely change the way I handle stock
> solutions. Either that or just dump out one of the five every time I mix it.
>
> --

I mix up my Xtol in a 10 liter $3 Rubbermaid plastic pail at room temperature.
This pail has a big D on it. D stands for Developer. I also mix up
Dektol in it. I never let fix or anything else touch it.

Afer mixing in the two packets i pour it into 6 500 ml brown glass
bottles which i use for my 2 liter 8 metal reel tank runs.
And 8 250 ml bottles for my one liter 4 reel tank runs.
It's so easy to just pour the whole bottle out and not have to measure it.
Easier even then using Rodinal.
I find these filled bottles last for months and months I'm sure a year
as advertised
.
But a partially filled bottle though may not last over night.

So Xtol requires a different way of working.
It requires ordering some glass bottles from the libratory supply store
which is a listing in the yellow pages or a trip there.

For most people a case of 250 ml bottles and don't forget to make sure
you have the caps as part of the deal or get those as well.

I tell my libratory supply store that i am a crack dealer and they give
me a discount.

I line my marked 14 bottles on a shelf in my darkroom over my sink and i
am very set up.
I put the empty ones on the right as i go along.

The first of this year i was going to come up with my own Xtol which I'd
mix up from scratch with every use.
In the past for years i'd done this. Often volumetricly with spoons
instead of scales. Rabinol. Rabtol.
Now I'd experiment with using Metol instead of Phenidone with Ascorbic
acid for my own brand of xtol.

But now that the year has sprung i find myself with no motivation to so this.

Its been several years now and my Xtol has not failed me and I've not
failed it.
I have a nice little system which works amazinly perfectly.

I use it 1:1 for Delta 3200 though, not 1:3 like everything else.

And it may be another year before i get around to experimenting with Pyro.
I've got some which i ordered from the Photographers Formulary. But i
just cant get around to trying it.

The Xtol just works. And more than just works it has been a major thing.

No i disagree with those who say it is just a slight improvement over
D76 1:1.
To those i recommend giving Xtol another shot. Make a big print.

I find it makes my 400 films look like 100 films and so on. And both
sharp as well as fine grained.
In the past we could never get both. We got one or the other.
Now we get to have our cake and eat it too. Sharpness as well as fine grain.
It works 2 or 3 times better than D76 1:1.
It is so smooth it is hard to believe it is as sharp as Rodinal. Even if
its not quite I don't care.
What else could a photographer want?

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA